Join Today
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Guide: How to install Google Chrome (Chromium) on the Nokia N900

<style type='text/css'> #gallery-1 { margin: auto; } #gallery-1 .gallery-item { float: left; margin-top: 10px; text-align: center; width: 33%; } #gallery-1 img { border: 2px solid #cfcfcf; } #gallery-1 .gallery-caption { margin-left: 0; } </style> <div id='gallery-1' class='gallery galleryid-53391'><dl class='gallery-item'> <dt class='gallery-icon'> </dt></dl><dl class='gallery-item'> <dt class='gallery-icon'> </dt></dl><dl class='gallery-item'> <dt class='gallery-icon'> </dt></dl><br style="clear: both" /><br style='clear: both;' /></div>
    The folks at meegoportal has published a guide on how to install Google Chrome (Chromium) browser on the Nokia N900. Head over to this post to download the files and get the instruction on how to install them.
    [Thx Stefanos]
    <a href="http://www.dailymobile.net/2010/04/09/guide-how-to-install-google-chrome-chromium-on-the-nokia-n900/">
    </a>
    testing

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Re: Guide: How to install Google Chrome (Chromium) on the Nokia N900

Awesome, Works great, scrolling and zooming is a bit of a pain (using arrow keys to scroll and the page options to zoom) but the tabs interface is really nice. A couple more tweaks and this could be a real contender for the N900.....

*Update

The scrolling issue can be solved by downloading the Touch extension, it doesn't however seem to solve the zooming issue...

**Update

Installed 'dblclickZoomin' extension, just a quick double tap to zoom in (looks to be about 200% zoom) works okay, a little too zoomed in for my taste, but definitely makes pages a little easier to navigate..

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

can somebody post a video showing how to install it?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by gursu26
    can somebody post a video showing how to install it?
    The instructions after the jump are super clear, a video wouldn't help you much, it's all text entry in Xterminal. You should have some experience using Xterminal to do this install, whenever you access the root, you can do some real damage to your phone if you don't know what you're doing. Do some reading, get comfortable with Xterm and give'r.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by JohnOdotCA

*Update

The scrolling issue can be solved by downloading the Touch extension, it doesn't however seem to solve the zooming issue...
    How do I download this extension...when browse to the chromeextensions website and click on "download" on my N900 in my Chrome Browser...there is no obvious installation going on!? Can I check somewhere if it is really installed?

Thanks for the help!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

The instructions after the jump are super clear, a video wouldn't help you much, it's all text entry in Xterminal. You should have some experience using Xterminal to do this install, whenever you access the root, you can do some real damage to your phone if you don't know what you're doing. Do some reading, get comfortable with Xterm and give'r.
    i dont have any experience using xterminal,thats why i asked for a video because i dont wanna do anything wrong and damage my phone

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by gursu26
    i dont have any experience using xterminal,thats why i asked for a video because i dont wanna do anything wrong and damage my phone
    In my experience, following text instructions carefully is a lot safer than a video. I wouldn't call Chrome a 'must-have' install, if you're not comfortable, don't install it until you've done some research and familiarized yourself with Xterminal.

Quote Originally Posted by richy07
    How do I download this extension...when browse to the chromeextensions website and click on "download" on my N900 in my Chrome Browser...there is no obvious installation going on!? Can I check somewhere if it is really installed?

Thanks for the help!

Hmmmm, try installing the extensions directly from the settings menu on the browser (the little wrench/spanner) - Extensions. You'll probably get a couple of 'untrusted site' warnings.

The first page should list the installed extensions, if your first page browses to the extensions library, you don't have any installed. Track down the correct touch extension and there should be a 'install' button.

Other than that, I'm not sure I can help you too much, try finding the thread on Maemo.org, you'll have a larger pool of knowledge.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Hmmmm, try installing the extensions directly from the settings menu on the browser (the little wrench/spanner) - Extensions. You'll probably get a couple of 'untrusted site' warnings.

The first page should list the installed extensions, if your first page browses to the extensions library, you don't have any installed. Track down the correct touch extension and there should be a 'install' button.

Other than that, I'm not sure I can help you too much, try finding the thread on Maemo.org, you'll have a larger pool of knowledge.
    Thanks John! Worked perfectly like explained!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Did anyone download these files... They are not available on the linked page anymore

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by djripster
    Did anyone download these files... They are not available on the linked page anymore
    They're available in the Extras-devel repository now in your application manager.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast