Join Today
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Default N900/MAEMO Newbie's comments & questions

Ok,

I did it: since yesterday I am a N900 user and I abandoned my perfect N97.

Here are my 1st comments, observations and questions regarding the N900 and MAEMO OS:

- the look and feel of the Maemo is just great...smooth, modern and much faster than my N97/Symbian
    - the headphones are great, perfect sound but why is there no remote control for the media player with the headphones??
    - the media player has a really good sound..but is there really no equalizer
    - this is a high end Nokia phone, right? why is there no OVI suite support? why do I have to fight with the Nokia PC suite
    - why do I have only Nokia maps installed and not OVI maps?? and why does the maps updater not recognize my maps version...I can't add any maps to my phone!!!!! this is really the most disappointing part of the phone!
    - the customizable desktops are phantastic!
    - is it really not possible to move the programme icons around and create your own folders in the menu?
    - the available widgets and applets help to make this phone really nearly perfect (most important for me so far: WIFI switcher)
    - i cant get msn up and running even with the msn pecan applet...am i doing smth wrong here?

well...i hope some of the issues will be solved soon...may be with your help...or may be Nokia will release OVI support for this phone soon...

I would appreciate your comments on some of the issues...the Maemo forum is a little quiet so I guess there are not too many out there...but i still have hope!

thanks guys

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Re: N900/MAEMO Newbie's comments & questions

There is no support for the remote used in other Nokia phones. They use a bus-interface that Nokia was unable to implement into Maemo (or just the hardware of the N900).

There is no equalizer, Nokia was hoping someone would make one for the device.

Nokia is still working on implementing Ovi to Maemo. But as it is Linux and not Symbian it's not just to port it.

Ovi maps is part of Ovi which is not supported at this time. The maps included actually doesn't even support navigation. The updating tool is part of Ovi, which is still not supported. But there should be some way to add new maps, but as all maps I need is already there I've not looked in to how.

It's not natively supported to move around the icons, but there is an app in the devel repos that enables it. Or at least places them in sensible folders.

I use the Haze plug-in for conversations, it works flawlessly with MSN. Have tried all the plug-ins, but all the other is buggy and unstable.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

thanks for the infos!!

i will try haze for msn..the rest...well...i guess i have to live with it for now! ;-)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by andnewman
    There is no support for the remote used in other Nokia phones. They use a bus-interface that Nokia was unable to implement into Maemo (or just the hardware of the N900).

There is no equalizer, Nokia was hoping someone would make one for the device.

Nokia is still working on implementing Ovi to Maemo. But as it is Linux and not Symbian it's not just to port it.

Ovi maps is part of Ovi which is not supported at this time. The maps included actually doesn't even support navigation. The updating tool is part of Ovi, which is still not supported. But there should be some way to add new maps, but as all maps I need is already there I've not looked in to how.

It's not natively supported to move around the icons, but there is an app in the devel repos that enables it. Or at least places them in sensible folders.

I use the Haze plug-in for conversations, it works flawlessly with MSN. Have tried all the plug-ins, but all the other is buggy and unstable.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

You guys dont research much, do you?

->ovi suite v 2.2 will support n900, beta testing registration has allready started,

http://discussions.europe.nokia.com/...as/td-p/666912

->Equalizer is available via symfonie player , which is available in repository (probably testing or development), for enabling equalizer in the default player check this (not recommended in mah opinion as it fiddles with default mafw which leads to high cpu usage)

mafw equalizer
    http://forum.dailymobile.net/index.p...c,19720.0.html
    or
    http://maemobriefs.blogspot.com/2010...-renderer.html

->idk bout moving icons. But you can categorize your application icons in sensible folders (as andnewman said). Install "catorise" or MyMenu" from repository.

->As for the maps. Well the map application is allready Ovi maps v1.01. Check the about option in maps.

It was allready declared by nokia as well a known fact just like older tablets ..its a development /hackers device. In nokia's terminology "step 4 device of 5 "
    btw pr 1.2 update would solve majority of issues,

->UPDATE:
    Quote Originally Posted by andnewman
    This should solve your problem.
    http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=21182

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

tusharmax I can second that
    For example: No navigation on the N900 with maps ? I've been using it since day one (12 December 2009 in my case).

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Eerde
    tusharmax I can second that
    For example: No navigation on the N900 with maps ? I've been using it since day one (12 December 2009 in my case).
    i agree mate, but hopefully its coming soon.

till then i'll suggest sygic , if u are ready to buy a navigation software.