Join Today
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: MeeGo

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Re: MeeGo

From the MeeGo FAQ page;
    Will MeeGo support ARM?
    Yes. MeeGo is a multi-platform project supporting the Intel/Atom and ARM architectures. As in any open source project, the community can choose the architecture direction and port the project to additional architectures
    And even...
    Will MeeGo use telepathy?
    Yes. MeeGo will use telepathy
    Wow 'me go too'

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

From information leaked, it's most likely that the N900 will be able to run MeeGo.
    This according to the leaked document that have been originaly published at http://www.cellularmania.net/

And also what you might interpret from http://meego.com/downloads

"Here's where you will be able to download the full source code and the images for various devices, and where you'll find the Git repositories."

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

All the suggestions are that the N900 will run MeeGo however the concern is that a phone which is only a couple of months old will not have an o/s supported by Nokia but instead it will be left to the community to support. Apparently similar suggestions were made when the N800 o/s was superseded by meamo but that's apparently never occurred. If it is so easy to get MeeGo to work on the N900 you must question why Nokia don't support it themshelves on their flagship model?

It is now a case of wait and see but if MeeGo, or at least apps running QT, can not work on the N900 in the future there will no doubt be a lot of disappointed N900 owners, given that Apple etc at least supports there o/s for a couple of years

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

It is now a case of wait and see but if MeeGo, or at least apps running QT, can not work on the N900 in the future there will no doubt be a lot of disappointed N900 owners...
    Uhhh Qt is already supported on the N900, version 4.6 actually since a few weeks.

We’re happy to announce the first technology preview of Qt 4.6 for the N900 (Maemo 5). Highlights:
    Native look & feel via Hildonized style
    Hardware acceleration with OpenGL ES 2
    Input method support (hardware keyboard and software keyboard)
    Global menu integration - QMenuBar will be mapped to Maemo’s global menu
    Online/offline support in libQtNetwork
    Standard Dialogs support (e.g. file dialog)
    Maemo stacked widget support
    Multimedia playback via Phonon
    And also why does Nokia have to support the OS ?. Like with all Linux distro's, buy the hardware and install the (community based) OS as you please !
    That is the great thing about open source...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

All well and good but QT 4.6 has not actually been released to the general public yet so we have no idea what apps using it will work on the N90o.

I just assumed a phone manufacture had a duty, a moral one if nothing else, to support an o/s for at least 6 or 12 months after releasing a phone in the UK, rather than give vague promises about the "community" supporting the o/s, is it not true that similar promises were made about meamo on the N800 which were never fulfilled?

As I said before all we can do is wait but at least it seems update PR1.2 (which I understand includes QT 4.6) is not too far away

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by droitwichgas
    I just assumed a phone manufacture had a duty, a moral one if nothing else, to support an o/s for at least 6 or 12 months after releasing a phone in the UK...
    What makes you think that Maemo5 will not be supported 6 to 12 months ?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

I am sure that not everyone out there can afford to get a new phone every few months... an N900 cost quite a penny and someone who saves that penny to purchase one would want the best out of the phone. \

The N900 as of now does not even properly support a portrait view... And it deserves at least a good stable UI before Nokia decides its time to move to their next device. I remember reading that Maemo 6 will make Maemo 5.. Acceptable, BUT Nokia needs to finish what they start..

Now with Meego, i dont mind if there are new better Meego devices, but finish what you started with the N900 if a Meego update is what will make the maemo 5 OS acceptable, thats what Nokia needs to do.

people pay money for a good product, if you cant produce a good product on your first try, at least support the products that you have made your consumers purchase...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Eerde
    What makes you think that Maemo5 will not be supported 6 to 12 months ?
    It seems fairly clear to me that apart from minor firmware updates that meamo has reached the end of the road and will be replaced by MeeGo some time this year, our only hope is MeeGo, or at Least QT 4.6, will work on the N900 otherwise, what we have now is what we will always have, if so, I will be dusting off my Nokia 5800 as at least turn by turn sat nav works on that and there's still new apps/games being developed.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

It seems the N900 will get a development meego o/s soon but even the meego guys wouldn't suggest using it on the N900 instead of the present meamo o/s

http://meego.com/community/blogs/val...owards-day-one

More info here:-

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=46445

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

looks like it will come....

MeeGo repository going public later this month, coming to Nokia N900.... read full story here ...

http://www.engadget.com/2010/03/04/m...ming-to-nokia/

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast