Join Today
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Should I buy the N900?

Hi everyone...i have been in the market for a while looking for a good replacement for my N97 that got run over by a car and is literally in 2 pieces . Anyways so i am someone who needs a good calender and messaging feature (email support, txt, MMS (not completely necessary but would be nice if support is there) , those are my main requirements. I love the 4 homescreens and the multitasking on the N900 and overall I have heard nothing but good things about the phone. I am a first year full-time MBA student, who loves technology ( i read a lot of tech blogs) but i am completely clueless on modding and hacking. I have never hacked any of my phones (i don't trust myself..i am always scared that I will screw up the phone) so I will not be hacking the phone in anyway..but i will be scouring the web for free apps. I don't like blackberry phones so please don't suggest that. I like android phone however I can't find unlocked ones here in the US and I don't want to be locked in a contract. Yes I know there is Nexus one but I like physical keyboards. I don't want exsisting Nokia N-Series or E-Series phones as I know they are working on a new UI and knowing myself if I get one now come end of year I will hate myself and I'll want the new one and I won't have the money. So here are my main questions..

1.) would it be worth it for a person like me to buy the N900 or should I wait for Maemo 6/ new symbian^3 devices to come out?
    2.) is the lack of portrait mode support an issue?

Thanks for your help...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Re: Should I buy the N900?

Difficult;
    1. If you mean calendar sync, it's possible but not great (hard to get working properly). As stand alone calendar its great, I have Google calendar and so I don't need to sync, get my email/sms warnings on the N900 and enter new items via browser on-line (cloud).

2. Maemo6 will work on the n900 except for ware restrictions like multi-touch.

3. Every day more apps work in portrait mode (actually most at the moment), but I wonder why people want or need it however, I want width, except for browsing long lists.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Ok let me make this easier...what do you all love about the N900 and how does it compare to an everyday device (N97 mini or any other) in terms of basic use?

and how is the speed using a wifi connection?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

i would say go for it, im exactly like you im really into technology but dont know how to progrram maemo, ive got the phone and i have to say honestly its the best device ive used that can make phone calls and text.

however you state you may regret not getting the latest device, maemo 6 is coming out later this year and n900 is unlikely to get it, but also the phone coming seems to be only a touchscreen phone ie no qwerty.

it all comes down to what your heart tells you, mine told me to choose the n900

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

The things I love about the N900 ?

1. High screenres ! Specially good for vids
    2. High storage capability (32+32GB)
    3. Maemo5 open source. I do not agree that Maemo6 will not come to the N900, just things that need special hardware will not like pinch zooming - who needs it ?
    4. xterminal/konsole play around, hack or follow other hackers code
    5. Skype integrated and I also have SIP/VoIP & GoogleTalk choice
    6. Repositories for software, one of the great Linux features
    7. Linux kernel
    8. Good, no best sound around
    9. Great camera and vid quality !
    10. Resistive screen, stylo and touch (tip: turn your finger around and use your nail or even grow one to a point )

PS WLAN speed is 100% in my case 1MB/s

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Guyz i have some questions------

1.)Is this phone too bulky & heavy for daily use,i mean is it easily fitted in Ur pocket

2.)Second since this phone is having Maemo 5 & nokia is about to launch Maemo 6,is it worth buying it,will Maemo 6 will be available for it

3.)How about the screen responsiveness,is it same as N97{which was pretty bad} or better

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by TJ
    Guyz i have some questions------

1.)Is this phone too bulky & heavy for daily use,i mean is it easily fitted in Ur pocket

2.)Second since this phone is having Maemo 5 & nokia is about to launch Maemo 6,is it worth buying it,will Maemo 6 will be available for it

3.)How about the screen responsiveness,is it same as N97{which was pretty bad} or better
    1. Yes it is heavy, but that (like Bakelite phones) is what I prefer, so I bought the N900 !
    2. I guess that Maemo6 will be able to be put n the N900, why not ? Some hardware functions that the software Maemo6 will support will obviously not work (think multitouch, but who needs that except for pinch zoom?).
    3. The screen is as responsive as my Acer One D150 netbook

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

applications built for M6 will also work on M5, if they don't require hardware inputs which N900 doesn't have.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Kozzi
    applications built for M6 will also work on M5, if they don't require hardware inputs which N900 doesn't have.
    u sure?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by salawat
    u sure?
    Yup, I'm quite sure on this as they will be built using QT framework and this allow them to work on Symbian^4 (or/and ^3?) too. Well, of course possible exception if extra hardware required.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast