Join Today
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Re: iPhone 4.0 OS to be revealed on April 8th

Oh I was under the impression it was being released today...another rookie error by me haha

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

10:19AM "So to explain how we did this while preserving battery and performance... Scott Forstall."

10:20AM "So how did we do this? We're providing seven multitaking services as APIs to developers."

10:20AM "Let me show you an example... Pandora."

10:21AM "Until now, if you left the app to go to another one, the music stopped. No longer. Pandora can continue to play music in the background while you switch to apps. And you can use a controller in the lock screen to control Pandora." Pandora's Tim Westergren is up.

10:23AM They're showing off multitasking with Pandora in the background. It's... playing in the background. Pretty seamless experience, which is good.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

10:24AM So that was the background audio API... next up is VOIP.

10:25AM "Now when you're on Skype, you can switch to another app, and you get a double-high status bar. And when you're not running it in the foreground, you can still receive calls."

10:26AM David Ponsford from Skype is up. "Thanks everybody. We have half a billion users, and iPhone OS 4 makes it even more convenient to use Skype."

10:26AM "Until today navigating away from the app meant that I would go offline. Now I go into the background, but I can still receive calls." Call coming through... in a pop up!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

lol

10:27AM "Hey Aaron are you there?" "Yeah you want to go to dinner tonight?" "Yeah, let me go into other apps to find a restaurant." And... it's multitasking.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

the multitasking and the bluetooth keyboard support is awesome!!
    testing

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

10:29AM "So VOIP. The next service is background location. There are two classes of apps that want to use this -- turn by turn, like TomTom. These always want to know where you are so they can provide directions. Now you can get them in the background, you can even listen to music, and it's still giving you directions."

10:29AM "Now GPS uses a fair bit of power, but that's okay for something like this. But there's another class of application that wants to use your location... social networking applications like Loopt. For that, we use cell towers."

10:30AM "Our baseband is always connected to cell towers, so it knows when you move." Hmm, this isn't going to be that precise for apps like FourSquare.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

10:31AM "We take privacy very seriously. We're taking it further in iPhone OS 4. We're adding an indicator on the status bar to see if something is asking for your location. Next we're asking fine grain settings you can enable or disable per application. And if any of them have asked for your location in 24 hours, we'll show you."

10:32AM "That is background location. Next, push notifications. They're very popular, in 9 months we've pushed more than 10b notifications." Now Scott is explaining the push process using Apple's servers.

10:33AM "Now building on push notifications is local notifications. It doesn't need to use our servers."

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

10:34AM "Next, task completion. There are some apps that take awhile to complete a task. Like uploading pictures to flickr -- now it can continue to upload pictures in the background. And our last one -- fast app switching. It's what allows applications to save its state and stop running, and then restart instantly where you left it."

10:34AM "So there are our seven services for multitasking. To go along with all this, we have this incredible user interface. And that is multitasking, which is our first tentpole for iPhone OS 4, and now back to Steve."

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

10:35AM "So our second tentpole... folder."

10:35AM "People are having to flick from page to page to page to find them. Folder fit the bill. Let me just show you what it's like."

10:36AM "I want to make a folder with games in it. I have several games, so I just push my finger on an app, they start to jiggle, and I just drag one app on top of another and it instantly makes a folder. It also automatically names the folder based on the categories of these apps, or I can rename."

10:36AM "I can drag this around anywhere I want. I can have as many as I'd like. I can also put a folder in the dock."

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

YES FOLDERS!!!!!
    testing

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast