Join Today
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Nokia Booklet 3G - First Impressions - Part #1

After a few weeks of waiting, I finally received the Nokia Booklet 3G. The device was sent for a trial and I am happy to give it a full review. Special thanks to the folks at WOMWorld for the trial.
    I have seen several pictures of it online, but opening it up for the first time was quite a treat. What can i say Nokia does good when it comes to design. You can watch the unboxing video after the break and see what the package has in store for us.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DlJ3twsbkNE[/youtube]
    The device looks good all around. The top has a glossy plastic like coating, which is quite a magnet to finger prints. the sides and the bottom have a fine metal body which looks very sleek and professional. <div style="clear: both; text-align: center;"></div>
    Opening the device reveals a beautiful display with the inbuilt web cam just above the 'Nokia Booklet 3G' text. <div style="clear: both; text-align: center;"></div>
    Just above the keyboard we have 3 indicator lights for connectivity (blue tooth, WiFi & 3G) and 3 indicators for power (sleep, battery and power). <div style="clear: both; text-align: center;"></div>
    Below the keyboard there is the touch pad and the right and left keys. The keyboard itself is neat with slightly indented keys. Since I am currently using a Mac book Air, I think I will miss the back light when working late in the night. <div style="clear: both; text-align: center;"></div>
    The Intel Atom sticker seated next to the Windows 7 is not very reassuring for me but I am open to give the booklet a fair review. <div style="clear: both; text-align: center;"></div>The right side has the power plug socket, a USB port and the tray for SD cards and your 3G sim.
    The power button is placed close by, but is hardly visiible. Nokia should have had some kind of indicator on this to make it easier to find.
    On the left, two more USB ports, the 4 pole 3.5mm earphone jack and an HDMI port. The HDMI is a welcome connectivity solution that will allow connecting your device to an HDTV or a digital projector. <div style="clear: both; text-align: center;"></div>
    It would have been nice if Nokia had provided some connectors for older VGA connectivity.
    The front and the back of the booklet are empty.
    Turning the laptop over you can see the power behind this device: Its ample battery slot.I cant wait to check what's under there. The battery claims a whopping 12 hour usage time which puts it as a front runner in that department. For a device with such a huge battery life it's very light. <div style="clear: both; text-align: center;"></div>
    On powering up I feel welcomed by the familiar 'Nokia connecting people' logo, which i have grown accustomed to seeing in my Nokia devices. The device boots up pretty quickly compared to most mini laptops I have seen and used. After some time (45 seconds to be exact) I find myself staring at the familiar Windows 7 welcome screen. You can read more in my other post 'Nokia Booklet 3G - Exploring the OS' which i will have for you soon.
    [Written by djripster]
    <a href="http://www.dailymobile.net/2010/05/07/nokia-booklet-3g-first-impressions-part-1/">
    </a>
    testing

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Re: Nokia Booklet 3G - First Impressions - Part #1

I love this computer! I want to buy it, but I don't really need it. You have to be reasonable sometimes =)

I hope they release a new model soon with the ION-chip.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Its not a good choice to replace a laptop. But its ultra portable, Its nice for someone who works on the run all the time...

But for someone who is station should opt for a bigger more powerful laptop

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

We need to compare this notebook with others out there, and not forget the price factor.

From what I've seen, this is a weak netbook: slow and with little memory. Also, the price is set too high.
    Actually, the only good thing here is the long lasting battery performance.

So, if you want some power, then you go for those with better CPU, enough RAM and better graphics card. A good example is the Asus 1201N notebook with a dual core Atom CPU and ION graphics.

When it comes to battery life, then some Asus or MSI models come close to lasting more than 8 hours. Such netbooks can offer better performance and will cost much less.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

In general i have not liked any of the netbooks i have had the chance to see and work on.

What I like about this device is its battery life and its 3G capabilities.

Another thing i like about this device compared to the others our there is look. Its beautiful compared to most netbooks.

I really think netbooks are not the ideal device for someone who is looking for a powerful machine. A netbook should suite your travelling needs and not loose its battery power in one or two hours. Netbooks should use the Booklet's positives and a framework to build themselves better, and Nokia should work at getting their devices cheaper so it reaches a vast audience