Join Today
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Problem in transferring text messages (SMS) to Computer

Hello !

I am new on the forum, I have read the rules and trying to follow them. One of the rule says "cross-posting in different sections will not be tolerated" but I found 2-3 sections are related and don't know where I shall get the exact info or solution, hence posting in all those 2-3 sections. Please delete them if you find those inappropriate.

Here is my problem:

I was using Nokia N72 for last 6 years just for its message storage capacity (Around 3800 messages) and transferability of the messages to the computer. Recently, in October 2012, I purchased Nokia 808 PureView phone over any Android or Windows phone thinking that it shall have unlimited message capacity as it has an upgraded Symbian OS. But I was wrong, it can store only 8500 messages. Even that also can be accepted, but this new phone is incapable to allow the transfer of the messages files to the computer using Nokia Suit.

There is a useless option like exporting CSV file of the conversation, I don't want it. I want to store the messages just like I was storing the messages of N72 i.e. in VMG format. This CSV type of file creates chat type of file which lacks the details. In VMG format, I was getting all the details such as Who sent, whom sent, on which day, at what time etc. Also, it wan uneditable format, means you cannot make a change in any other details or content of the message so that it can be used as a proof. But with the new Nokia Suit (instead of previous Nokia PC Suit) there is no option to copy selected messages. If I select and copy, it can be pasted in notepad, but then it cannot be used as proof. And I tried using Nokia PC Suit for syncing the messages of 808PureView, but it failed.

There is one more way mentioned in the HELP topic of Nokia Suit, but it copies the messages to the Nokia suit and not on the computer. I mean if I format my computer, I shall loose those messages if I forget to export its CSV file. Also, if someone opens Nokia suit, all the messages are displayed there directly. Earlier I was able to store the messages in physical files in the folder. And I could hide it or store it anywhere.

All in all, I am very much disappointed because of this story. I really don't need any other facility of this phone. I don't need music, radio, video, bluetooth, wifi, internet, camera, map, games or any other functions. I just required the unlimited message storage capacity and transferability of messages to computer in VMG format. I spent Indian Rs.31,000/- just for the messages and what I got is a useless phone.

So, is there any way to copy the messages in VMG format or similar format ?

Thank You Very Much.

Regards,
    Mangesh Dhere.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Re: Problem in transferring text messages (SMS) to Computer

I really need to copy the messages in VMG format. Nobody knows how it can be done ?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

So, there is no any way to copy the text messages (SMS) from mobile to computer in VMG or similar format ?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

@ jacksonbird03,

My phone is Nokia 808PureView with Belle FP2 OS. "Nokia PC Suit" doesn't sync the messages from new phones. Only "Nokia Suit" syncs them and they are not getting copied in the physical files.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Still finding the answer for this :-(

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

did you try to copy the messages via bluetooth?
    808's phone switch app should do the job.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Can you please elaborate that thing ? How should I do that ? To be very frank, I use my phone just for whatsapp now (Because my messages memory is full and dont't receive any message since last 4-5 months)
    It will be a great help.

Thanks in advance :-)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

enable bluetooth on both phones and pair them.

You 808 go to menu, settings, connectivity, data transfer, phone switch, start reciving and tick messages.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Will try that, but the problem is Nokia N72 has message capacity of 3800 msgs only and my 808 PureView has 8500 messages.
    If it allows me to do it with selection, then it will work otherwise that too will be the problem !!