Join Today
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Nokia profit falls with 40% compared to last year

Nokia, the world’s biggest handset manufacturer, has reported a 40% year on year decline in profits for the three months ended on 30 June 2010. Profits at the manufacturer over the last three months were 227m euros (£191m). Nokia reported that gross margin on devices and services has fallen to 30%, down 34% from the same period last year and down 32% on the last quarter.

Net sales of devices and services grew by 3% year on year from 6 586m euros to 6 799m euros, despite the margin on sales dipping by almost 4% during the same period. The average sales price of Nokia devices declined by 4% when compared with the same period last year. In Q2 2009 a Nokia device sold for an average of 64 euros, the price dropped to 61 euros in Q2 2010.

In Europe, the handset giant saw sales of its devices remain steady. Sales in Europe increased by 1% year on year, but declined by 1% sequentially. Globally, mobile device volumes grew by 8% year on year. Nokia estimates that its global market share is now around 33%, a fall of 2% from 35% in the second quarter of 2009.
    Nokia CEO Olli-Pekka-Kallasvuo said: ’Despite facing continuing competitive challenges, we ended the second quarter with several reasons to be optimistic about our future. For one, the global handset market has continued to grow at a healthy pace, led by some of the less mature markets where Nokia is strong. We are also encouraged by the solid second quarter performance of our mobile phones business, helped by an improving line-up of affordable models.
    [Via]
    <a href="http://www.dailymobile.net/2010/07/22/nokia-profit-falls/">
    </a>
    testing

shadowninty

Default Re: Nokia profit falls with 40% compared to last year

I can already foretell next years headline

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Id stay Nokia is still lucky to fall only 40%, they pretty much slacked last year and even this year!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by EarlZ
    Id stay Nokia is still lucky to fall only 40%, they pretty much slacked last year and even this year!
    Most of the profitability fall seems to be because of increased development cost and lacking the expensive flagship model that would actually sell (n97 still sucks). Not sure if developing multiple platforms including one new one for release is what one would call "slacking".

I'm far more suprised by CEO's comment that "USA is the most important market for us". For many years now, the most important market was Asia, where nokia controls something between 50% and 60% of total market. I'm very surprised about this change of focus, considering how different and how competitive USA market is.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

nokia needs on really cool flagship! and im not talking about the N8!

they really need to get into the Android bandwagon
    testing

shadowninty

Quote Originally Posted by Phat^Trance
    nokia needs on really cool flagship! and im not talking about the N8!

they really need to get into the Android bandwagon
    Symbian is not a high-end OS (tried S^3 in emulator - you can barely tell the difference from S^1) so they need say Android or Meego.

They defo won't use Android so they really have to start working on Meego, possibly even adding support for Dalvik

Jus my 2 euros

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Nokia profit falls with 40% compared to last year

An interesting part of this news (not mentioned on the opening topic) is that the income from the smartphones did increase 8% from last year.

Maybe they needed a bigger boost from a top phone to compensate other sales.

I think N8 will sell very well. Even if it's not android, it will have a good CPU and a good graphic chip which means some nice looking games and apps and can be a really good successor of the 5800 in terms of sales.

They still need a flagship because N8 will not compete with iPhone4 and Android top phones.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

An Android Nokia just doesn't sound right to me...

I wonder if they will release a Windows Phone 7 device... Now that would get Apple's attention..

I like the fact that Android stays with the 'others' gives the other manufactures something solid to compete with

Even with all the N8 offers it is still just another Symbian device

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Nokia profit falls with 40% compared to last year

Quote Originally Posted by djripster
    Even with all the N8 offers it is still just another Symbian device
    I still like my 5800. Just wish that the UI could be smoother and could run better some apps. I don't pretend to play fancy 3D games on the phone anyway... So N8 can be a solution (and a cheaper one from other phones available) and I think many guys think the same way.

I confess that now (N8 is not yet released) I'm thinking on buying a phone with other OS. But I'm still waiting for the latest news.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Die Nokai Die

SE FTW \m/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast