Join Today
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Symbian not popular in US?

I live in the US and have NEVER seen someone with a symbian phone, I have seen places selling phones like the N95 and N96 and what not but I hardly see people with symbian phones, its either feature phones, which is the most popular, most people arnt into smartphones etc, Iphones, so many iphones lol! not a fan myself, and then android/blackberry/WM phones come next I see these fairly good amount but not like iphones or feature phones.

I have noticed though, many symbian users Ive noticed on forums seem to be in India, Europe, and other countries around the world, I wonder why no love for symbian in the US?

I would be interested to hear what you guys see the most of in your country/town.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Re: Symbian not popular in US?

I think it's partly due to the lack of GSM networks in the US.

Nokia executives say that the company is developing new products for the U.S. market and that it's working with wireless operators to get Nokia devices on those networks. This is important for Nokia since about 90 percent of all cell phones sold in the U.S. are sold through an operator. And most are subsidized. Nokia doesn't offer many products through carriers in the U.S., a fact that has hurt the company in the U.S. market.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Simply because of marketing - Manufacturers of Symbian based phones (i.e. Nokia, SE) do not market towards Americans. There aren't commercials on television or advertisements on billboards for these kinds of phones anywhere around here. Not to mention, their phones aren't designed for American markets. Americans like their phones to be slim, sleek, and have a nice big touchscreen. Nokia phones definitely do not follow the trend of slimness.

Why do they not bother with the U.S.? Probably because they just want to focus on the European market because with iPhone and Android phones already taking over the U.S., it would be hard to catch up.

Also, nobody cares about Symbian. Don't get me wrong, I had a Symbian phone at one point too (and my next phone will also run Symbian). But the iPhone has 200,000 applications, Android has 30,000, and how many does Symbian have? Definitely not as much.

iOS isn't open source, Android is. The ratio is 20:3, what does that say? That marketing and timing are all that matter (iPhone got a head start by a couple years), and quite frankly, Nokia may be able to pull off some good advertisements, but they're way too late to fit the timing requirement.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by solidkevin
    I live in the US and have NEVER seen someone with a symbian phone, I have seen places selling phones like the N95 and N96 and what not but I hardly see people with symbian phones, its either feature phones, which is the most popular, most people arnt into smartphones etc, Iphones, so many iphones lol! not a fan myself, and then android/blackberry/WM phones come next I see these fairly good amount but not like iphones or feature phones.

I have noticed though, many symbian users Ive noticed on forums seem to be in India, Europe, and other countries around the world, I wonder why no love for symbian in the US?

I would be interested to hear what you guys see the most of in your country/town.
    Dumb phones and feature phones are mostly seen in India. Smartphones are catching up, as a lot of Indian companies too have ventured into the phone business.

Nokia is most widely used.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

nokia ever hurt us government so they hate nokia then symbian is like dumb phone in th us because lack of sevice through us cell operator...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Nokia never been popular in the US. Lets hope that will change now when they will release their WP7 phones.
    testing

Yes, and lost BRIC

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Invalid Username
    I think it's partly due to the lack of GSM networks in the US.

Nokia executives say that the company is developing new products for the U.S. market and that it's working with wireless operators to get Nokia devices on those networks. This is important for Nokia since about 90 percent of all cell phones sold in the U.S. are sold through an operator. And most are subsidized. Nokia doesn't offer many products through carriers in the U.S., a fact that has hurt the company in the U.S. market.
    Great point you got there. This is exactly what I have in mind.