Join Today
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Going from v5 to v3, have a few questions

Alright, I hate s60v5, it's slow and painful. I haven't used s60v3 yet, but I have used Series 40. I previously owned a Nokia 6300, loved it's style and speed, but since switching to a few Blackberrys and a Nokia 5530, I can't give up multitasking. So I want to buy an N79, looks great, feature-packed, overall it looks like a powerhouse of a phone. But I have a few questions:

1 How's the UI speed? When you click an application, how long does it hang before opening? s60v5 can take up to 3 or 4 seconds to open basic applications such as Settings or Themes.

2 Kind of minor, but it's annoying. If you cancel a sis installation, does the phone hang for up to three minutes before regaining it's responsiveness? The Nokia 5530 (literally just after a hard-reset) froze for three minutes after cancelling the PIPS installation.

3 How are the menus? Can you quickly navigate through menus and popups?

4 How is RAM? I don't usually have more than three apps running at a time, but is the 96 to 128 MB enough?

5 N-Gage gaming, is it worth it?

6 Is the third party application selection good? And I don't mean "a lot of apps", I just mean a great amount of useful ones.

7 How is video (specifically MP4 playback)? Just the performance, not really battery power. I always carry two spare phone batteries with me cause I'm a heavy Internet, Music, and Spongebob (yes, spongebob) user.

8 Last one, and this one's big. If you apply a third party theme, will the phone significantly slow down in terms of the UI? On s60v5, the UI is unbelievably slower if you apply a third party theme.

Thanks so much.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Re: Going from v5 to v3, have a few questions

If you want to stick to symbian, why not wait for symbian ^3 phone?

If youre looking for a powerhouse symbian phone, then i think the n97 is not the answer cause s60v5 phones have same specs when it comes to processor and ram.

If you want to buy a new symbian "powerhouse" phone now, then go for the samsung i8910 or the sony ericsson vivaz

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Thanks for someone finally replying but I don't want any form of s60v5, s^2, s^3, s^4 and beyond. I just want an s60v3. I was looking at getting an n79 not an n97. But now I might get an n82 cause they're almost the same phone and it looks nicer.

Can anyone with any s60v3 phone whether it be xpress music, n seriers, e series, or whatever, take 3 minutes to tell me about the experience?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by mattbutsko
    Thanks for someone finally replying but I don't want any form of s60v5, s^2, s^3, s^4 and beyond. I just want an s60v3. I was looking at getting an n79 not an n97. But now I might get an n82 cause they're almost the same phone and it looks nicer.

Can anyone with any s60v3 phone whether it be xpress music, n seriers, e series, or whatever, take 3 minutes to tell me about the experience?
    The n97 is a s60v5 device mate

If you want s60v3 then ill suggest the n85

http://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_n85-2496.php

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

I understand the n85 is a great phone. But could anyone tell me about the Symbian s60v3 experience? Not any phone specifically, just the OS/User Interface. Plus, I hate sliders and only buy bar phones (easier to save when they take on water damage!).

I actually changed my mind to an n82 anyway, Xenon flash and dual-core processor! I watched a side by side comparison of the n95 and the n82, the flash DESTROYS any LED flash on the market, and the n82 is the fastest N Seriers I've ever seen. C2Doom, Quake 3 Arena, awesome stuff.

Can anyone please just tell me about the s60v3 user experience by answering the questions in the original post?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

OK, I will. I owned 3250, n73, e51, e63, 5530 and good old N-Gage CLS so I have the overview. Now I have a 5580.

1. You should remember, that in s60v5, the time, that is spent on opening the app is actually shorter than it seems, because of the theme effects. Look at it one more - before the app goes fullscreen it has a short animation. It will get faster if you disable the theme effects.
    I never used a phone with Kastor effects based on s60v3, but i presume its quite the same.

Consider the CPU speed in s60v5 and v3: e51 - 369 MHz, early firmwares of 5800: 369 MHz (now it's about 430 MHz due to overclocking), n82 - 330 MHz. The differences are not big here, but the screen size in n82 is 240x320 and in 5800 is 360x640! It's obvious, that s60v3 will get faster with the same specs and a smaller screen.

If you want a fast phone, maybe you should consider e52/55/72? They have a 600 MHz CPU and a dedicated music chip onboard...

2. Don't expect the phone not to freeze while cancelling the PIPS installation. It's a complicated peace of software. Plus, if you add the overall unstability of s60v5 platform you will get what you did.

But I have to admit, that my 5800 is very slow in some situations, in which a usual s60v3 phone would do good: for example searching for new music in library takes up to 15 minutes!

3. As I said in point 1., the UI is speedy in s60v3. But if you compare it to SonyEricsson db2020 (K800i, K550i, W880i...) it's slower. But remember, they don't have that complicated operating system.

4. If you don't use many apps at a time, you won't notice any difference. n82 is a monster in terms of RAM. You can run Windows 95 or a PHP server on it.

5. N-GAGE: WORTH!!! Everyone has his/her own opinion about N-Gage, but personally, I like it very much. But don't expect any new games, because Nokia resigned this project.

6. Apps selection is quite the same as s60v5. Mostly they are compatible backwards with s60v3. There are some apps for s60v3 that are not compatible with s60v5 and one of the most important is CorePlayer, which allows to play unconverted DivX videos on a phone. I loved that in s60v3.

7. I don't have much experience with mp4 playback, but as far as I know, s60v5 handles mp4 videos very well through RealPlayer. I think it's the same in s60v3.

8. I never noticed that much slowdown in s60v5. Maybe you could install the themes in your phone memory? But i must say, the phone works a little bit slower with a 3rd part theme, espetially with the custom icon set. Try using the default 5530 "Reflections" theme with a wallpaper instead.

In s60v3 it's the same. The phone may slow down a little, but it's not noticable really...

Remember, that in s60v3 you have to use erd party software to put your wallpaper fullscreen.

OK, that's all. I hope i helped a little. Sorry for my english. If you have further questions, ask.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Though i've used S40,s60v3 and using v5 and iphone... Its better to go to iphone 3GS, if u want multitasking,juz JB it...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Copliq
    OK, I will. I owned 3250, n73, e51, e63, 5530 and good old N-Gage CLS so I have the overview. Now I have a 5580.

1. You should remember, that in s60v5, the time, that is spent on opening the app is actually shorter than it seems, because of the theme effects. Look at it one more - before the app goes fullscreen it has a short animation. It will get faster if you disable the theme effects.
    I never used a phone with Kastor effects based on s60v3, but i presume its quite the same.

Consider the CPU speed in s60v5 and v3: e51 - 369 MHz, early firmwares of 5800: 369 MHz (now it's about 430 MHz due to overclocking), n82 - 330 MHz. The differences are not big here, but the screen size in n82 is 240x320 and in 5800 is 360x640! It's obvious, that s60v3 will get faster with the same specs and a smaller screen.

If you want a fast phone, maybe you should consider e52/55/72? They have a 600 MHz CPU and a dedicated music chip onboard...

2. Don't expect the phone not to freeze while cancelling the PIPS installation. It's a complicated peace of software. Plus, if you add the overall unstability of s60v5 platform you will get what you did.

But I have to admit, that my 5800 is very slow in some situations, in which a usual s60v3 phone would do good: for example searching for new music in library takes up to 15 minutes!

3. As I said in point 1., the UI is speedy in s60v3. But if you compare it to SonyEricsson db2020 (K800i, K550i, W880i...) it's slower. But remember, they don't have that complicated operating system.

4. If you don't use many apps at a time, you won't notice any difference. n82 is a monster in terms of RAM. You can run Windows 95 or a PHP server on it.

5. N-GAGE: WORTH!!! Everyone has his/her own opinion about N-Gage, but personally, I like it very much. But don't expect any new games, because Nokia resigned this project.

6. Apps selection is quite the same as s60v5. Mostly they are compatible backwards with s60v3. There are some apps for s60v3 that are not compatible with s60v5 and one of the most important is CorePlayer, which allows to play unconverted DivX videos on a phone. I loved that in s60v3.

7. I don't have much experience with mp4 playback, but as far as I know, s60v5 handles mp4 videos very well through RealPlayer. I think it's the same in s60v3.

8. I never noticed that much slowdown in s60v5. Maybe you could install the themes in your phone memory? But i must say, the phone works a little bit slower with a 3rd part theme, espetially with the custom icon set. Try using the default 5530 "Reflections" theme with a wallpaper instead.

In s60v3 it's the same. The phone may slow down a little, but it's not noticable really...

Remember, that in s60v3 you have to use erd party software to put your wallpaper fullscreen.

OK, that's all. I hope i helped a little. Sorry for my english. If you have further questions, ask.
    Thank you so much for the proper reply. I see most of your points aside from a few. Even when disabling Kastor or default theme effects, opening apps is slow. I understand third party themes are slower, but even when I install to phone memory there's no difference. I'll have to strongly consider an E  Series. The 600Mhz processor is tempting! Thanks a lot!

Edit: Damn even on eBay they're outta my price range. $390 USD for the e52 and it only goes up for the others. That's why I was aiming for the n82, dual core processor for speed as well as 3D chip, and it's only around $200 USD on eBay.

As for the Apple fanboy, you shouldn't have to JB to multitask. In terms of a smart phone, the iPhone is a dumbass. And you didn't even answer my question. That's like me telling you "if you want reliability, switch to an s60v3. If you want unsigned apps, just HelloOx it."

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Lolz... You are fixed to N82,just go for it...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

N82 is a good phone with almost perfect camera and it used to be my dream before I got 5800. But still you have a 100 MHz difference in CPU speed between 5530/5800 and n82... And for this 3D accelation: Nokia abandoned putting 3D-enabled CPUs in their phones since N95. So you won't really find many apps (games) using that solution...

In Poland a new n82 still costs about $300 USD (!) compared with $250 for an E52 and $380 for an E72. And there's also a Samsung Omnia HD, which is probably the most powerful phone with s60v5 on the market.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast