Join Today
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Re: Going from v5 to v3, have a few questions

Sweet linux support.

I prefer GNOME to KDE, I want to like KDE, but it's too buggy.Version 4 has been coming along, but GNOME's nautilus file manager has a bluetooth file browser, something KDE, Windows, OS X, don't have.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

umm.. i have many apps for windows to explore bt.. even good drivers will do the job
    gnome is just a bit like mixed os x and windows.. it has 2 taskbars, which is crap!! they better do smth more like windows, or like os x, but not that mess mixing up both shells..

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

version of puppy linux that looks like windows xp:
    http://skami.homelinux.org/images/rs.../xp-like01.jpg

version of puppy linux that looks like mac:
    http://macpup.org/

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

LOLZ, OS war.

In Linux, I didn't have to find and install a bt file manager, it was just there and ready to go. And "Two taskbars, which is crap!", right click > Delete. GNOME and KDE systems are incredibly customizable. Cairo Shell was the only hope Windows ever had, and that seems to be dead in the water.

Edit: This took 20 minutes to mod from standard Ubuntu to OS X-like. The integrated task bar (File Edit View Etc) is fully functioning too, that specific highlighted window didn't have one, so it wasn't visible, but if any GNOME users want it, it's called Gnome2-globalmenu and can be found here, http://code.google.com/p/gnome2-globalmenu/. Just go to the Wiki section to find a .deb installation guide.
    [img width=800 height=500]http://img693.imageshack.us/img693/8409/screenshotzo.png[/img]

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

ok, i know all this mods, but how can it deal with NTFS? ooh, it can read ntfs with some extra tools, but it can be installed on ntfs part..
    yep, i've used kde 3 and liked it btw, but kde 4 needs damn good hw so i will wait some time..

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

...not looking for an OS war - i have gained so much from switching to linux that im happy to clarify on a few misconceptions here and there.

ntfs is supported without the need for extra apps (read and write, tho not sure about execute). Also, with puppy linux you dont even need a HD, you can just run it off a usb stick and connect to your ntfs hd very easily.. (many different 'brands' of linux such as ubuntu etc. can run from USB stick).

Alternatively, you can resize your ntfs partition and make a new ext (linux fs) partition for a full install of linux os.

I had to partition my g/f's work usb disk drive through linux, as she needed both fat, ntfs and mac filesystem partitions. Could not do that easily with either windows or mac, was so easy with linux.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

The OS war comments was aimed at that sasha kid who clearly hasn't even seen KDE, and hasn't played with GNOME for more than about 3 minutes, if they've used it at all, let alone even knowing about fluxbox, XFCE, etc etc.

Use GPartEd for all things partitioning, it's a fast, easy tool that doesn't even need an OS to run. You can actually install GPartEd on a flash drive and boot it into the ram just like a linux distro's live CD.

Of course, most Linux enthusiasts already know about that tool.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

hey bro, i have seen kde in 2 linux: mandrake and new version mandriva, and suse linux. so i do know and PREFER kde to that stupid shell gnome. i've used just old kde version, 3.x. and when i've been using new mandriva, there was already NEW kde 4. and there was lags, bcuz new kde needs good video, which my pc doesn't have.

as abt this gnome, i've used it in ubuntu 9.x linux. and i completely HATE both ubuntu linux & gnome shell. if i ever again go for linux for sure it will be mandriva, they do damn good os..

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Well that's just wonderful.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Small update if any body wants to chime in. I'm going to get an N79 in two or three weeks. Sure, it's older and it lacks a touch screen, but it's fast, looks great, huge application base, good camera, I can get it for around 200 USD.

My 5530 has been acting incredibly weird since the USB port fell out. I've had to hard reset it twice in two days and the gallery stopped working. Sometimes it crashes when going from portrait to landscape, etc etc. So I need a phone I'll like, and I've wanted the N79 since even before I got this 5530 about 5 months ago.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234