Join Today
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Re: Going from v5 to v3, have a few questions

well i ended up just not buying a new phone. None of the new feature pack 2 phones interest me, and feature pack one phones are too old.

I'm just gonna wait for Symbian 3.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by mattbutsko
    well i ended up just not buying a new phone. None of the new feature pack 2 phones interest me, and feature pack one phones are too old.

I'm just gonna wait for Symbian 3.
    great decision bro!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

I want a cheaper one though. That C6 really interested me, but it may not be running Symbian 3. Since seeing Symbian 3 in the preview video, you can still see the Symbian 1ish style in it, it's not gonna be groundbreaking, although it still looks cool.

I want an X6, cause the body is so effing cool. Just love it's physical appearance, not it's price.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

i like x6 too but it has only 1 drawback: no mem card slot. i really don't need this 16/32 Gb, i wan't the media removable.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

I would prefer both like an n900. That's the real dream phone, overclocked to 800mhz, Perfection, at a cost.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

if it only has symbian, i'm linux hater.. the phone is good itself.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

I love linux, on it right now, Ubuntu actually. Can't stand Windows cause it's bloated, unsecure, and resource heavy. Mac OS X, well, I'm not even gonna go there.

I just like how you can install desktop enviroments onto the n900, such as XFCE. Just love the OS, hardware isn't top notch, but the OS runs great on it. (I don't care if a fancy pants phone as a Snapdragon if it hangs for a few seconds every time you open an application.)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by mattbutsko
    I love linux, on it right now, Ubuntu actually. Can't stand Windows cause it's bloated, unsecure, and resource heavy. Mac OS X, well, I'm not even gonna go there.

I just like how you can install desktop enviroments onto the n900, such as XFCE. Just love the OS, hardware isn't top notch, but the OS runs great on it. (I don't care if a fancy pants phone as a Snapdragon if it hangs for a few seconds every time you open an application.)
    well, i'm gonna tell you. some stuff, you won't run on linux even on an emulator.. and i like to have my drivers on the web, not compiling 'em myself though so.. linux is for fun.. can't take it seriously.. mac os.. well.. 10.4 was candy. i hate macs, so i have used it on my desktop intel pc. 10.5 is a crap, glamorous as hell, and doesn't have smth USEFUL ever, unlike Win 7. so windows always wins :P yes it shud have AV sw.. yes it's like a Swiss cheese with holes.. but it IS real OS. install 'n' play, without any troubles if you have decent hardware. and bro, pleaaase don't tell me f**kin' linux isn' resource hog. i don't like all these consoles.. i live in 21st century.. and.. to run kde smoothly, you shud have very good video, again, UNLIKE Windows Aero, it runs fast as hell on my EMBEDDED Intel video. so no way, again. and some organizations even sell linux.. OMG..

abt n900.. i saw it. well, modded 5800/n97 will turn n900 into a piece of sh*t, they CAN do faster, on Symbian.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

on ubuntu my system uses about 300 MB of ram on idle, and that's with compiz (special effects) enabled. On windows, my system uses 6 to 700 MB of ram on idle, using the basic theme with no effects, what's that tell you?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

i use linux too... using KDesktopEnvironment as an example though isnt fair as you can easily change this to somethig much faster and lighter like JWM. You cannot do this with windows where you are stuck with all the bloat.

I use a variant of linux called puppy, the whole os with applications weighs in at only 100mb install. It runs entirely off of an SD card and loads 100% into ram. This turns a cheapo 200euro netbook into a lightning fast computer. Everything happens instantly, accessing files/browsing internet pages etc. and thats with the cpu underclocked.

Sure if you dont wanna have the ability to change things stick with windows, but if you want a quick os, go with linux as you can always find a variant specific to your needs. Then you cut off or add as much as you like. If you know what your doing or your willing to learn then linux is the way forward.

There is also an os called tiny core linux. It is only 10 mb install ad also runs entirely inn RAM (they have micro core linux too which has no window manager /desktop environment which is only a few mb larrge). Building your own os from scratch with something like tinycore guarantees you the best ratio of return for your hardware. Nothing can work faster than a customised Os like Tiny core.

oh yeah, and its free.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast