Join Today
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Re: Going from v5 to v3, have a few questions

i know the phone isnt perfect but is my area E Series phones are way up there. what i like about the n82 is that the first processor is a little over 300mhz, which will render good on a QVGA screen, way smaller than nHD used in 5800/5530. not to mention the second which clocks at 200ish mhz which will help intensive apps like the camera. 3D chip will help games like c2doom or the quake 3 engine.

plus, you gotta admit, nokia s60v5 devices are on the low hardware end. while the hardware in the n82 is amazing for its time. its pretty much the most powerful N Series there is, aside from the n900.

Typed on Nokia 5530.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

I owned n82 before my current phone and I was satisfied with it. Nice quality of pictures (though don't expect the quality of the pictures to match the ones of a regular camera). One annoying think about n82 was the keyboard layout - the keys are too close to each other and I always pressed the wrong key by mistake while typing a text message. In my opinion, s60v3 and s60v5 are both laggy at times, so don't expect any major changes in that area. I remember that one of the firmware updates made n82 faster, but it was still laggy at times.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Oh I expect laggy at times, but what I noticed about the 5530 is that it lags too much, worse than my old BB Curve 8320, which had QVGA, 300ish Mhz, about 12-20 MB free ram. The only application that takes less than 2 seconds to open is Messages, and that's only from the Satio HS. From the menu, it takes just as long as any other. I just went to the T-Mobile store today and most of this years smart phones out perform the 5530. I understand the 5530 is the cheaper option, but it's suppose to be cheaper because it lacks GPS, 3G, and it has a smaller screen. NOT because we don't get a half-qwerty without DayHand Input, not because it's slow at opening apps, and not because the UI is dated.

Only reason I keep mentioning resolution is that with higher rez, the more the phone's gotta process.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

what an annoyingly long registration process...

Anyway i have had several 3rd's and now own a nokia 5530 (5th).

From my experience, 3rd is quicker for only two very stupid reasons:

1. You can get rid of icon labels in the menus (w/o hacking IIRC)

2. there is no accelerometer and screen rotation.

Unbelievably that accounts for most, if not all lag difference between 3rd and 5th.

If you get rid of the screen auto rotate on nokia 5530 you will see that everything becomes much snappier.

I guess that it isnt a fully implemented feature (unlike with iphone) and was just tacked on last minute.

If you try this out yourself, you will notice that most of the main annoying delays dissappear. With the sensors on, it looks as if opening each new window/application causes checks to be made for the orientation of the phone. I think it might even check for the last used setting also!?! With out these endless checking prcedures, everything is faster (opening keyboard input, apps, menus, everything).

The way i hold my phone is always on the boundaries of the rotation limit, so i would often get caught out when opening new windows as the OS got confused with the layout causing several second delays. So i got rid of it and now the phone has no lag and no problems.

I think that the forced portrait homescreen messes up the stupid system even more.

I use opera mini 5 as my web browser - i can force landscape modethere and the features are almost as good as the mobile version. I prefer the fact that its a more simplified view (less java etc) as it makes every single page load faster and focuses more on content than images and web apps.

PLus, the phone rotation no longer bothers me when im using it lying down or with the phone at a funny angle.

Without the accelerometer activated, text input defaults to qwerty which appears instantly (no annoying lag as you turn the phone sideways).

Anyway not the answer that the OP was looking for but most certainly relevant.... give it go!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

What you wrote actually sums up my situation exactly. I have disabled auto-rotate and saw a speed increase cause I wouldn't need to constantly fix the rotation (I hold it at a 45 degree angle most of the time, or laying in bed sideways). However, the phone itself didn't change.

Since this topic I disable theme effects and use a fast theme (Firebird, brand new in the forum but it's fast and looks awesome). Although I now want either an N81, an N82, or an N85 - really love the N85 cause it's like a mini N96 - which is the slickest looking phone I've ever seen but way too expensive for Symbian s60v3. I would wait for Symbian 3, but since it's based off of Symbian 1, which I currently have, I'm honestly not expecting much. Looking at the developement previews, it looks like how the n97 SHOULD have been for it's outrageous price.

Who knows, may wait for a C6 or just buy a Nokia 5730 XM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

e72 is the best one with 600MHz processor / touchpad like in laptop / 5 megapixel camera / 128 phone memory / nice look .

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Not real interested in dropping over 250 USD on a phone. Sides, N82 has two 329 Mhz ARM cores.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

He Stick to N82, leave him...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Bfrenz
    He Stick to N82, leave him...
    I can't tell if you mean "leave him behind" or "leave him alone".

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

lol man, n82 is fp1 device you will miss cool features cuz fp2 is like v5 but without touch ui.. i mean fp2 is better in USABILITY, not all this eye-candy.. i have e51 and it sucks, but i will go for s60v5

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast