Join Today
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Is Nokia lagging behind?

What do you think about samsung S8500 wave, comparing with nokia terminals, of the same segment or even higher?
    Its incredible screen, an 480x800 Super AMOLED capacitive touchscreen, for me the best screen in cellphones until now, its real amazing, a very fast processor, an ARM Cortex A8 1GHz and much more.
    will this new BADA OS, be at the same level of the symbian, windows mobile, or the android, with alot of apps, and games?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Re: Is Nokia lagging behind?

Nokia is falling behind all right, but not in particular against this device. Not so much because of hardware specs. Supremacy in hardware specs is fleeting - in 2 months time the Next New Thing will have arrived. Instead, in software.

Symbian just gave way to iPhone OS as the most widely sold Smartphone OS in the world. More to the point, application development for Symbian is slowing down to a crawl - and Symbian/Nokia really only have themselves to blame for that.

Maemo might have stood a chance if they stuck with it. Instead they do what most companies in panic mode do - change strategies mid-stream without allowing any one strategy to really succeed. MeeGo is a "fresh start" for application developers who have vested time and effort into Maemo. Most hobbyists (ie. the makers of the most number of software titles) cannot be expected to follow every whim of a company in such a panic mode.

As for Bada - it simply does not stand a chance. There are already way too many mobile application platforms out there for most application developers (even large ones) to support: iPhone OS, Android, Symbian, MeeGo, WinMo, BlackBerry OS, J2ME. Even if you were able to combine some of these target platforms to some degree (for instance, all Symbian devices also support J2ME), most developers are stretched way to thin in this landscape.

Consolidation will occur - just like it did in the personal computer landscape in the 1980s when proprietary platforms such as AmigaOS, AtariOS, CP/M, BBC, Apple ][, etc. etc. gave way to PC-DOS (and to a lesser extent, Macintosh OS). The way it looks now, Nokia simply has too much vested in their own in-house phone OSes to adapt quickly enough to a truly multi-vendor platform (i.e. not Symbian) - be it Android or something else.

Samsung will try and fail with Bada - but also have a number of other legs to stand on.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Well try, but alas!! if you had such a high level of predictive thinking, then you wouldn't be on these forums, but working with Nokia or Apple.

You have said nothing different than many people who are short-sighted and blinded by specs and marketing.

First of all, so far Symbain is still the most widely sold OS in the Smartphone arena. Don't know, from where you made iOS bigger. Not yet, may be never.

There is not a major difference between maemo and meego, as far as under the hood technical details are concerned. Infact, Meego gives a better chance to developers for their applications being used from Smartphone to netbooks to connected TVs etc than Maemo which was only smartphone OS. That was one of the main reasons for Maemo and Moblin merger.

All this doesn't mean that Nokia had not fault, they did, everyone including Nokia admits that, but that doesn't mean that things cannot be corrected in time. There is enough room and time for improvement and they can still surpass everyone else.

As far as the OP's concern about lagging in terms of features, i don't think they are lagging. I really don't think 800*480 or Nokia's nHD screen is going to make any noticeable difference if you are holding the phone in your regular normal position. You can't make out the difference except the zoomed in view that the online sites are posting for comparison, but that's not the real-life practical comparison.

And again, as everyone knows, just hardware specs alone are not important for success, else iphone would not have been such a success. So,just have patience, and give Nokia some time to start their real fightback. N8 itself is bringing super high-end multimedia features, i am sure, the Meego device (supposed to be the the highest-end series) will have even killer specs, but let's hope they do the similar good job on software front.

Quote Originally Posted by Hlorri
    Nokia is falling behind all right, but not in particular against this device. Not so much because of hardware specs. Supremacy in hardware specs is fleeting - in 2 months time the Next New Thing will have arrived. Instead, in software.

Symbian just gave way to iPhone OS as the most widely sold Smartphone OS in the world. More to the point, application development for Symbian is slowing down to a crawl - and Symbian/Nokia really only have themselves to blame for that.

Maemo might have stood a chance if they stuck with it. Instead they do what most companies in panic mode do - change strategies mid-stream without allowing any one strategy to really succeed. MeeGo is a "fresh start" for application developers who have vested time and effort into Maemo. Most hobbyists (ie. the makers of the most number of software titles) cannot be expected to follow every whim of a company in such a panic mode.

As for Bada - it simply does not stand a chance. There are already way too many mobile application platforms out there for most application developers (even large ones) to support: iPhone OS, Android, Symbian, MeeGo, WinMo, BlackBerry OS, J2ME. Even if you were able to combine some of these target platforms to some degree (for instance, all Symbian devices also support J2ME), most developers are stretched way to thin in this landscape.

Consolidation will occur - just like it did in the personal computer landscape in the 1980s when proprietary platforms such as AmigaOS, AtariOS, CP/M, BBC, Apple ][, etc. etc. gave way to PC-DOS (and to a lesser extent, Macintosh OS). The way it looks now, Nokia simply has too much vested in their own in-house phone OSes to adapt quickly enough to a truly multi-vendor platform (i.e. not Symbian) - be it Android or something else.

Samsung will try and fail with Bada - but also have a number of other legs to stand on.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Topic moved from S60V5 to General section.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

i dont think Nokia will get Super Amoled screens from Samsung. HTC is already waiting for Samsung to produce more Super Amoled screens and Nokia is not yet in line i think... Unless a new super amoled manufacturer coms along.

IMO nokia is indeed lagging behind when its come to their 'flagship OS'. Maemo/Meego should be marketed properly. Nokia is losing on the marketing side since Apple is a big fanbased company, and Android is getting marketed by other phone makers like LG, HTC, Samsung, etc. Nokias problem now is that they have their own OS and they should amrket it properly for newbies or non techi/power users to know the capacity of Nokia phones. Old cellphone users know the capacity and what Nokia did to the mobile world but the newer generation are coming in to the fold and they like the newer UI that other OS gives.

shadowninty

Quote Originally Posted by zymesh
    i dont think Nokia will get Super Amoled screens from Samsung. HTC is already waiting for Samsung to produce more Super Amoled screens and Nokia is not yet in line i think... Unless a new super amoled manufacturer coms along.

IMO nokia is indeed lagging behind when its come to their 'flagship OS'. Maemo/Meego should be marketed properly. Nokia is losing on the marketing side since Apple is a big fanbased company, and Android is getting marketed by other phone makers like LG, HTC, Samsung, etc. Nokias problem now is that they have their own OS and they should amrket it properly for newbies or non techi/power users to know the capacity of Nokia phones. Old cellphone users know the capacity and what Nokia did to the mobile world but the newer generation are coming in to the fold and they like the newer UI that other OS gives.
    I agree.
    While I think Nokia should stick with Meego and Symbian, they need to target markets better.

Nokia needs to keep Symbian away from the N-series and only have meego on those devices

Symbian needs to be targeted at X-series, C-series and E-series.

For example I was delighted with my 5530 running Symbian^1 because it cost me €150 (not on contract)

However if I bought an N97 for €500-700 I would be disgusted with Symbian and Nokia and hate them in future which is what tragically happened to so many sad souls

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by shadowninty
    I agree.
    While I think Nokia should stick with Meego and Symbian, they need to target markets better.

Nokia needs to keep Symbian away from the N-series and only have meego on those devices

Symbian needs to be targeted at X-series, C-series and E-series.

For example I was delighted with my 5530 running Symbian^1 because it cost me €150 (not on contract)

However if I bought an N97 for €500-700 I would be disgusted with Symbian and Nokia and hate them in future which is what tragically happened to so many sad souls
    Absolutely.....great point....agreed...+1

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

There are ups and downs.. i am a true nokia fan and I feel the next 10yrs will be just "UPs" for Nokia

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Upakul
    There are ups and downs.. i am a true nokia fan and I feel the next 10yrs will be just "UPs" for Nokia
    you speaked my words. i´m a nokia fan-boy since the 7250 and 3650. and i very much hope the n8 will be the beginning of a new great nokia era. but i´m sad that symbian will not be in a very high-end phone anymore

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by shino82
    you speaked my words. i´m a nokia fan-boy since the 7250 and 3650. and i very much hope the n8 will be the beginning of a new great nokia era. but i´m sad that symbian will not be in a very high-end phone anymore
    Cummon do not say that coz I need symbian everywhere!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast