Join Today
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Need Help with new Phone

Hey Guys,

great forum/site, i love it. So i thought i'd ask away here.

I know this is a decision which can't be made by anybody else, but i have too little experience with some of the devices. Since alot of you know alot about Android, Nokia etc. i still would love to hear some suggestions.

Im renewing my contract at the end of this year, however my provider has offered me to do so at the end of june already. This would mean i will also be able to get a new device.
    I was offered the iPhone 4 for 100 EUR, renewing the contract in the process. I am going to stay with this provider in any case.

Anyway, i have been using the iPhone 3G for 2 years. I am kind of bored with it. I mean its great, and i dislike most of the touchscreen attempts by others. The new iPhone 4 looks great, no doubt, but i just really want something else. The offer of 100 EUR for the new 4 might still be good, im not sure.

So i'm really interested in a BlackBerry in genereal, mostly the 9700Bold. Good e-mailing and a decent calendar, and especially a nice QWERTZ keyboard is whats most important to me. I was trying out the BBs of friends, and really like it. But with all the other phones available, i feel like im missing out on a lot of technology purchasing a BB.

While i dont know alot of devices in detail, i really like the kind of N97. With the slide keyboard, since i'm really tired of the iPhone keyboard when writing e-mails. I dont even feel like i need a touchscreen at all. I still like it though, if its as good as the Apple one. What i cant stand the most is a laggy, slow touchscreen like so many poor attempts have shown.

Besided what i mentioned, a decent browser is also important to me. Thats where the BB is obviously a bad choice.
    How would you guys think about the HTC HD2 or the N97, N900 (maybe c6 soon?) considering my priorities.

If any of you bother reading through this, i would greatly appreciate some suggestions.

cliff notes:

- need a new phone (renewing contract)
    - been offered the iPhone 4 for 100EUR
    - dont like the iPhone anymore
    - considering a Bold9700, maybe HD2, Nokia

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Re: Need Help with new Phone

It seems you like a phone with a physical keyboard (which is an advantage when it comes typing text). Then you have two choices: mini qwerty (like in Blackberry) or full querty (like in N97). I would go with full querty for max comfort.

Now about the phones: N97 is old, N900 is not really for everyone, C6 has the same old OS as N97. HTC HD2 has only soft keyboard. HTC Touch Pro2 has an old OS.
    You can start considering Motorola Droid, or any other similar phone.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

it sounds like your best option is still stick to iphone 4. as usta mentioned all other phones are aging and some perform in pathetic ways like n97. really out of all the phones you are considering you are still best off with the iphone for browser, speed, awesome screen, decent camera all in one package. still it is your call, but you can't go wrong with the 4 in my opinion good luck choosing the best one for ya.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

I'm sure shadowninty wud help he always help noobs like me and knows lots about Qt and other things but he banned

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

I tried out the Bold9700 today, the keyboard seems way too small even with skinny fingers. I find the 9000 mucg better, but isnt that outdated?
    The droid seems really nice, i heard the 2nd version is coming soon.

I dont know the nokia OS at all, havnt had nokia for 10 years. The 97 keyboard lools pretty bad, but the c6 will be much better i find. Is it bad to get a nokia these days in general?

I know the iphone 4 seems way best, but i just cant convince myself. I actually hate the fact that every kid has one these days!

Any BB users got some suggestions?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

lol funny, yeah i hear you its annoying that everyone has one, tho i just updated mine to ios4 and the background is awesome, listening to pandora, while sufring and downloading apps. its way cool. the email has been much improved, multitasking is wicked, and more and more apps are coming out with ios4 support.