Join Today
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    EU Parliament says network roaming must end by 2016, net neutrality must be preserved EU Parliament says network roaming must end by 2016, net neutrality must be preserved

Default Re: EU Parliament says network roaming must end by 2016, net neutrality must be preserved

Quote Originally Posted by huellif
    1.95 €uro unlimted data plan in whole EU (after 2016)
    [img width=96 height=96]http://wordassociations.ru/image/200x/svg_to_png/nicubunu_Emoticons_Tongue_in_cheek.png[/img]

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Re: EU Parliament says network roaming must end by 2016, net neutrality must be preserved

In Germany they start making netfalts more expensive. BASE, Vodafone... It's getting more and more expensive and/or restricted... Pricebattles seem over, especially as we are moving towards 3 operators instead of 4 (o2 will takeover BASE)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    EU Parliament says network roaming must end by 2016, net neutrality must be preserved EU Parliament says network roaming must end by 2016, net neutrality must be preserved EU Parliament says network roaming must end by 2016, net neutrality must be preserved EU Parliament says network roaming must end by 2016, net neutrality must be preserved

Quote Originally Posted by padrino
    In Germany they start making netfalts more expensive. BASE, Vodafone... It's getting more and more expensive and/or restricted... Pricebattles seem over, especially as we are moving towards 3 operators instead of 4 (o2 will takeover BASE)
    I think the providers will find a way to get their money, but in theory you can choose a cheap provider from another country.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

That would have massive implications – more than most people realise.

Currently, in the UK for sure, each network has its own equipment on each tower. They don’t share it. This allows them to make wild claims like “covering 95% of the population”. If roaming charges are abolished, “I” (in the UK) will be able to get say a German SIM card and just use it, in the UK… the end result is that the networks will have no way to differentiate their service, because every network whose gear is up on that tower will have to roam with my SIM. That will probably force them to share the hardware and find some other way to make money out of people.

Of course if the EU mandates zero roaming charges but doesn’t mandate universal roaming, it will all be a bit stupid…

They will probably cripple this initiative by each network limiting who it will roam with, so in practice your phone might not work most of the time.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

In France, we have a different take on this. We already have roaming-free (or partly) plans :

a) My previous operator offered, for 19,99€/month = 3GB data (H+), calls/SMS/MMS unlimited in France, and SMS from and to Europe unlimited.
    b) Several operators are now offering, added with no extra cost to the same kind of plan (~20€) some passports. For instance, you can use your plan 35 days/year in Portugal, it means: calls/sms unlimited from Portugal to Portugal, and from Portugal to France, and your data will be counted from the monthly 3GB limit.

There are 2 systems for this: one operator has created several (free) passports: one for Portugal, one for Germany, etc. They're opening country by country (the UK isn't covered yet). It means 35d/year for EACH country. All the other operators offer 35days but for all the countries.

So roaming is already disappearing progessively in France, and without necessarily increasing the price. This is because one operator (called Free) has a very agressive approach to pricing and innovation.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

I would not say those are cheap deals, and not even remotely approaching what one can get non-roaming here in the UK.

Roaming data is not the huge deal (say €10/MB) it used to be. I am with Vodafone UK which is normally an expensive option but for £3/day (£3 for each day on which the phone is used outside the UK) I can transfer my UK allowance to anywhere in Europe. Even non-EU (Norway or Switzerland). I pay £10/month on the contract. My allowance happens to be 500MB of data, and more or less unlimited voice and SMS.

So roaming costs are barely relevant these days unless you want to download movies.

And one can get even better deals in say Greece where you can buy a local data SIM for say €10 for 2GB which lasts 30 days (or whatever) and pop that into an E585 3G to wifi modem, and use the wifi (for data, voip, etc).

But this is a very long way from banning roaming charges, which would demolish network differentiation - unless they find some way to de facto cripple it, and I think they will, by simply limiting who will roam with who even more severely than today, so de facto your German or French SIM won't work in the UK most of the time, so you will "get the message" and use a UK SIM in the UK and use a French SIM in France...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12