Join Today
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Re: FAIL: Nokia N97 commercial video Vs. real-life performance

there is not a single phone that is perfect,the n97 lacks speed and stability(as they claimed)

And the iphone lacks:QWERTY keyboard,radio,decent camera,mods,and alot of stuff that can be found in a normal phone...

And the n97's price is surly less than the iphon's price

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

I completely agree with the vid. I used a n95 since 07 as since the beginning of 09 as a back up to the iphone 3g. NEVER had the problems with the n95 mentioned in the vid. I even used it to tether w/ laptop for 3g! So i got the N97 mini...all the problems mentioned in the vid are true...the touch screen sucks you have to press about 3 times to get it to register! the scrolling a joke. opening apps take forever. Sometimes they wont close without removing the battery. If i hook up to my computer at work i have to restart the phone for my computer at home to recognize it. Another problem to mention is the video out. Movies play fine on the phone all the way thru but once hooked to the tv no matter what im playing the video disappears after 30 to 40 mins. but audio remains. I do like the hardware especially the keyboard. and the size of the mini is great.

regarding the bluetooth i have never had problems with my car recognizing it syncs right each time! its an 2009 audi a4...brilliant system in the Audi.

I have owned many many phones...but have yet to use android other than a friends milestone. Im in the USA so no 3g but liked the software for the brief time i handled it. Will probably pick up a SE X10 once avail. WHICH IS SOON!

anyone want to buy a n97mini LOL

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

I don't usually post in forums but this was too good to resist, I laughed my arse of at this vid, the people behind this deserve an award, and it needs to be played on commercial television as a warning to others. In my opinion this video was kind to the nightmare which is the N97, even with the latest firmware.

Over a recent dinner at an IT conference I attended, whilst others brought out their iPods to demonstrate the latest interesting apps, I gained great satisfaction when I brought out my N97 and simularly demonstrated it to shrieks of laughter. Of special amusement was the touch UI as I demonstrated how I needed to page through several pages of virtual keys in portrait mode to type an sms. The lack of the alpha keys existing anywhere on number keys makes this phone a joy to guess alphabetic numbers (eg 1800 FU NOKIA). I was also able to demonstrate how Nokias flagship with its anemic CPU limped through a software rendered app while the iPods ran smoothly through accellerated FPS and racing games with full accelerometer support.

To add to the list of defects with the N97 shown in the video:

This phone includes a GPS which when it decideds its going to get a lock, I've already reached my destination, and it still thinks Im two blocks away.

The Bluetooth AVRCP functionality sometimes allows me to listen to a portion of an occassional audio track before unpairing - This phone is certainly no safer to use than a regular mobile while driving, leading to elevated levels of stress. (using this phone while driving is suicide)

I just love the key-lock game which keeps me guessing when you use it, I still haven't figured out how to win eg:

Unlock the phone: Slide the slider, ah the phones unlocked, no its not the screen went out, slide it again and now its locked, no its not! it just caught up to the first slide lock, slide once more and this must be the bonus round, and I've won the jackpot cause the phone keeps buzzing out till I've had enough to disconnect the battery... good thing the designers made this a snap!!!

The only thing this phone has been good as is surviving, I await eagerly for this phone to be run over by some large spikey wheeled vehicle so I can end my agony and get something else....

Its really idiot how they do their best to let it not work, and nokia n97 is cheaper has a keyboard and much more practical memory by working with memory card, not to mention that the screen resolution of a nokia is better and the battery capacity, and who cares about visual effects and ultimate smoothness, bullshit=this video

Update your firmware FFS!
    All the issues in the video are known bugs and a firmwareupdate solves them all and don┤t even compare the N97 to the Iphone, the Iphone is a toy and the N97 is a tool. What you see in 1:05 is not even possible on the Iphone because it doesn't support multitasking...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

This video is only 10% true.

I have a Nokia 5800, which is slower than N97, and actualy with 4.xx firmware is very much faster than the N97 shown in the video.

It seems that this guy doesn't know what is a resistive touch screen: you have to press it, not to touch it. It's different from capacitive touch screen, and some may like capacitive, but it's a fact the guy doesn't press the screen and claims that phone isn't responding.

If you take an iPhone and turn it 90 degrees but maintaining it on the horizontal like the guy on the video, it will not respond either.

There's no need to tell about Symbian advantages (multitasking, etc.). If you wanna something pretty, ok get an iPhone. I wanna something that is really a tool not a toy.

Just one thing that I can agree with the video: Nokia browser isn't that marveillous software. Just install Opera Mini 10.0, it's wonderful, it's only missing flash (iPhone too).

Although the N97 (and 5800) had their UI problems...it is definitely not as bad as this video makes it out to be. True it is not as swanky as the advertisement but the phone is not just flat out unresponsive and clumsy as the guy in the video makes it look. Also he used an IPhone advertisement as comparison...where is the real IPhone in the video. And when he demonstrated the screen rotation it was only tilted like 10 degrees which any phone including the IPhone would have trouble registering the change in position. Come on fan boys, Symbian may have its UI problems but it aint bad at all, its just not swanky. Video = FAIL...try again Apple fans!!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

The video is too outdated. Maybe the guy doesn't know how to update his firmware. LOL

Even though I already sold my N97 for N900, for me, N97 is doing well in the area of smartphone and telephony. Its build quality is perfectly shaped for the hands for one-hand operation. Customization is a breeze for user's preference.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

It's not really that much of an exaggeration - I have the 21.0.045 firmware and while greatly improved the device is still a bit slow.

The music player has a few issues that could do with fixing. The messaging needs to be tweaked - and speed as a whole is still a joke compared to other devices (for example the Android familiy of devices).

It's to be expected though - they know the older versions of Symbian are bollocks and not really fit for purpose these days :0

shadowninty

Quote Originally Posted by spaco22
    nice one
    nokia failed to implement what they advatised
    largely bcos of the poor ram
    the n97 is a highly capable in software but lacking in hardware.
    unfortunately it cant b reversed,
    i am a proud owner of n97 cos its still better than 99% of mobiles out there
    any1 dare argue that

cheers
    Still think so? :P

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast