Join Today
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    mufaddal_km

Default "Android is not Open. It's a marketing label" says Symbian

Let the squabbling begin. With Samsung Omnia HD and Sony Ericsson Idou to show-off, Symbian Foundation director Lee Williams recently said that Android merely wears a big 'open' badge to disguise its underlying 'closed shop' ethos. Android is not open, it's a marketing label. It's controlled by Google. "It's a pretty label but I don't think the use of Linux is synonymous with open and they may have made that mistake of assuming it is." he added. According to Williams an open platform requires a community behind it rather than an Inc., "If you were to ask me [the Symbian Foundation] roadmap for the next two years I'm going to tell you I don't know - I can tell you... what the plans are but other than that it's up to the community to take it where it wants to go".

Rich Miner, Android co-founder and Google's VP of mobile shared his thoughts on Symbian's "Openess" saying if you're talking about a platform and the source code isn't completely available for that platform, I would say it's misleading to call that platform open. Because that platform can't be adapted, changed and shaped by the people who are consuming that platform - the handset OEMs or the carriers. I'd say that if you need to join some sort of a club in order to get access to the source code - so membership in some consortium or some other group - then it really truly isn't open.

Speaking at MWC, Miner tried explaining Google's role in Android, "There is no Google technology built into it that we haven't made available to others. So we're enabling our competitors as much as ourselves, we think that when somebody controls an entire platform like that it's bad for the industry. They have huge leverage and this is why Google invests so much in open platforms and technologies." He admitted that Google was a business after all, "to some extent for the most part we are capitalists", adding that Google doesn't necessarily "think everything should be necessarily open and free".

Of Android's future challenges, Williams said fragmentation is a key challenge retiring Android as "just another Linux effort with a popular consumer brand attached to them". Obviously, Miner disagrees, "When people talk about 'is Android going to be more fragmentation in this Linux handset space?' we actually think no, because there is no other Linux offering that offers such a rich set of capabilities. We just think it's going to be more of a unifying factor hopefully to the Linux base than something that fractures it further".

[Source Silicon.com]

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Re: "Android is not Open. It's a marketing label" says Symbian

dont think that symbian likes android
    testing

mufaddal_km

ya ...symbian doesnt like android ...
    but indeed s80 appers to be more open sourced at the moment

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

LoL This means war between symbian forum and andriod forum!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

WAR! LOL!
    I was going to get the andriod but whilst I was shoplifting it I realised its too big for me.

Only joking, its too big for me to fit in jeans and stuff. Not my type of phone.

mufaddal_km

this is not even a proper time o buy android phone ...
    the apps are still limited ...and there is more tweaking to be done ...
    moreover u can even use bluetooth just like iphone