Join Today
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Re: Help needed on choosing a new phone

also this pots help me,

I just buy a Nexus One,

nice for this feedback also

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by shadowninty
    Yes its better then the Desire.
    However consider the costs too
    Its because of the price why it fails.. Common lets be honest.. we love the iPhone games and apps. Its just like PS1. And fun pass time. Besides that, Steve Jobbs sucks. I wish Android had same games like iPhone.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by MrMack
    I wish Android had same games like iPhone.
    Get PSX4Droid (Playstation emulator), problem solved

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Maddmatt
    Get PSX4Droid (Playstation emulator), problem solved
    There's a difference between iPhone games and PS1 games. iPhone games are made for touch screen. Like, perfectly made.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

The galaxy is has a small internal memory and has no flash so id say go for the desire

the evo is not shipped wordwide, i think. its only for sprint

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

motorola droid

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by MrMack
    There's a difference between iPhone games and PS1 games. iPhone games are made for touch screen. Like, perfectly made.
    True, but Android does have a few quality games from Gameloft.
    The PS1 does have a lot of awesome games to choose from though.
    And when the 2.2 firmware is out there's plenty of Adobe Flash games to choose from.

Quote Originally Posted by Kcube989
    The galaxy is has a small internal memory and has no flash so id say go for the desire
    You've got that the wrong way around. The Galaxy S comes in 8Gb and 16Gb versions, as well as support for memory cards up to 32Gb.
    Adobe Flash will be supported when the 2.2 update is out (leaked firmwares are already available).
    Galaxy S beats the Desire in almost every way, with the exception of camera flash (maybe that's what you meant by 'flash'?) and a notification light.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

You've got that the wrong way around. The Galaxy S comes in 8Gb and 16Gb versions, as well as support for memory cards up to 32Gb.
    Adobe Flash will be supported when the 2.2 update is out (leaked firmwares are already available).
    Galaxy S beats the Desire in almost every way, with the exception of camera flash (maybe that's what you meant by 'flash'?) and a notification light.
    Actually Galaxy S has a huge 2GB ROM,so plenty of space for apps.{Install all ur movies/songs/pictures to that 8gb/16gb,2GB takes care of Apps}

And for the second point regarding Galaxy S vs Desire{or whatever},at the end it will come to Users personal choices only,cost being one factor.
    I have seen many users switching to either Desire/N1 due to that.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

It's a matter of choice, so you can't say that Galaxy S beats Desire in every way!
    My considerations for buying Desire over Galaxy S included:
    + HTC Sense beats TouchWiz
    + Camera Flash in Desire (can be also used as Flashlight)
    + Desire is cheaper!
    + Galaxy S is a larger, which makes Desire more pocket size
    + HTC support and updates faster than Samsung
    + Custom FW support is much larger for HTC phones
    + The all-plastic body of Galaxy S is a real fingerprint magnet
    + Some have reported slow memory in Galaxy to launch apps and too much crap-ware pre-installed.

On the other hand, I love the Super Amoled in Galxy S and the capable graphics.
    There is no perfect phone, just choices.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by usta
    It's a matter of choice, so you can't say that Galaxy S beats Desire in every way!
    That's why I had the word 'almost'. It's not perfect, I'm not some crazed fan that thinks it's perfect and everything else sucks
    But I'd still like to comment on your points.

"HTC Sense beats TouchWiz"
    How? I didn't like Touchwiz until I tried it, it's really not that bad. There's always custom launchers anyway, and maybe someone will port Sense.
    I've grown to like the sideways swiping in the app drawer, although I wish it had folders. Does Sense or any other launcher have folders in the app drawer?

"Camera Flash in Desire (can be also used as Flashlight)"
    A flashlight is the only thing an LED flash is good for. I do miss that feature though since I often used my Nokia 5800 as a torch.

"Galaxy S is a larger, which makes Desire more pocket size"
    That's a plus for me. I really like the larger screensize.
    The Galaxy S fits in my pockets just fine, it's very thin so it slides in nicely.
    Either way, you don't want to shove other things in the same pocket as your phone or you might scratch it (unless you have a good cover/protector).

"HTC support and updates faster than Samsung"

Samsung seem to be getting their butt in gear though, they're working hard on firmware updates as can be seen by all the leaked firmwares.
    We can only hope they keep it up though. The phone should be popular enough to get the hackers working on it either way.

"Custom FW support is much larger for HTC phones"
    With the popularity of the Galaxy S, I think this time will be different At least I hope so.

"The all-plastic body of Galaxy S is a real fingerprint magnet "
    Just checked the back of mine, you're right haha. Not something worth caring about in my opinion, one wipe on your shirt and it's gone.

"Some have reported slow memory in Galaxy to launch apps and too much crap-ware pre-installed."
    The stock firmware did have some slowdown issues, but most of the time it's very fast and smooth.
    I'm using one of the leaked firmwares (the latest 2.1 firmware, avoiding 2.2 until the major bugs are fixed), and those problems seem to be gone. Very fast and responsive phone.
    As for crapware, I think that's a problem on certain US variants, but you can root your phone and clean it up easily. Nothing on my phone that I'd want to lose, mine is the international variant.

And again to prove I'm not a crazed fan, my own complaints about my Galaxy S which I first posted on myadsl.co.za, some are repeats of what you posted since this is almost a straight copy-paste:

*No notification light. Samsung or a good coder could potentially use the backlights on the menu and home keys for this.
    *GPS problems. Seen a lot of complaints about it but just about as many people say it works perfectly. Could be the hacked Google Navigation I was using, haven't tested a paid program yet. Basically it would lose accuracy at random places when i was on the freeway.
    *No camera flash. LED flash usually gives crap results anyway, but I liked using my Nokia 5800s LED as a torch with the Phonetorch app.
    *Terribly weak vibration, tested using *#0*#. Maybe the test doesn't use the full strength or it's the unofficial firmware I'm using, need to test when receiving a call or SMS.
    *The loudspeaker doesn't seem that loud on max volume, at least not as loud as some Nokias can go. Could be an issue if you need to hear the phone from the opposite side of a large house and/or in noisy areas.
    *Single loudspeaker placed on the back of the phone, good enough for phonecalls when you want it but not great for music, videos or gaming since most of the sound gets directed away from you.
    *Samsung Kies software is a bit crappy, had to play around switching my phone between Kies and Mass Storage mode to get it to connect. Don't really need this software though unless you want to update your firmware the official way (note Samsung just updated Kies, maybe it's fixed).
    *Can't organise the app drawer into folders, but I guess this is an Android thing. You can still make folders on a home screen though.
    *A small amount of 3G data usage every day (less than half a MB) and I can't figure out what it is. Got syncing off and checked any apps that use the internet to make sure they don't update automatically. Not sure if I should get a data bundle since I have Wifi at home, but not at university.
    *Samsung has a mobile tracker (to track stolen/lost phones) but it doesn't work in South Africa. I use Prey (search the app store, it's free) though so no big deal. Could be what's using data.
    *Automatic brightness adjustment does not work well, but that's the limitations of a light sensor I suppose. Better off keeping a Power Control widget on your homescreen. You can also swipe the notification bar sideways to adjust brightness, cool trick I read about today.
    *Can't turn off the sound that plays when you switch the phone on and off. Need to find the damn files and delete them.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast