Join Today
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Android Markt is growing and fast

Default Android Markt is growing and fast

Google: Android Market now serving 30,000 apps

At the most recent Mobile World Congress, Google CEO Eric Schmidt revealed that the companyís partners are now selling over 60,000 Android handsets on a daily basis. With that kind of growth rate, itís no wonder that the size of the Android Market is quickly increasing in its slipstream.

While Google doesnít publicly show how many applications there are in Android Market, a Google representative this morning informed me that the application store now serves approximately 30,000 free and paid apps in total.

The application store for Android devices supposedly hit the 10,000 apps milestone in September 2009 according to third-party developer AndroLib, who later also claimed that number doubled in just over 3 months.

Google at the time matched these claimed stats against its own count, and said there were in reality some 16,000 apps in Android Market in December 2009. Yesterday, I asked Google for an update to those internal stats after I noticed AndroLib currently pegs the number of apps at nearly 35,000, and this morning the company got back to me saying there are now officially 30,000 apps in the Android Market. In other words, Google says the number grew from 16k to 30k apps in exactly three months.

The company declines to detail what percentage of apps in Android Market are paid versus free, but for what itís worth, AndroLib says the ratio is about 39% paid vs. 61% free of charge.

Just for comparisoní sake: Apple counted over 140,000 apps in the App Store in January 2010, so itís safe to assume there should be about 5 times as many apps for the iPhone and iPod touch as there are for Android devices right about now.

Research agency research2guidance recently released a report forecasting that the total app download market could grow to a whopping $15 billion by 2013.

[Via]

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Re: Android Markt is growing and fast

The thing is that Iphone is now alone against Android which is shared by HTC,SE,Samsung,LG...
    Developers will surelly be more tempted now to build apps and games for Android phones because of the enormous potential of the upcoming phones like X10,Desire,Galaxy 2....

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

I'm glad to see Android Market apps growing. This gives a nice alternative to WM, iphone and Symbian OS phones.
    Now just hoping that there are USEFUL apps in that large number of apps.
    For example, I've not seen any proper video player in Android Market yet...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by usta
    Now just hoping that there are USEFUL apps in that large number of apps.
    For example, I've not seen any proper video player in Android Market yet...
    The HTC Desire is rumoured to be getting a DIVX codec update soon after release,... and there is also "yxflash" but is reported to be abit choppy on devices like the Hero. Would be nice to know how it plays on newer devices though.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

I browsed some apps in the market and they seem much more usefull than Beer and Pop Corn apps

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

hey android guys :-D

as i don't want to open an extra thread for that small question i just wondered whether i can write apps in qt and run em on an android phone (... just theoretical is there qt support on android?)

no right?

regards, kevin

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by kev1807
    hey android guys :-D

as i don't want to open an extra thread for that small question i just wondered whether i can write apps in qt and run em on an android phone (... just theoretical is there qt support on android?)

no right?

regards, kevin
    Check out this article,... http://tamss60.tamoggemon.com/2010/0...tra-interview/

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

+1 :-D

that means my next phone CAN be an android phone and i can learn qt now for my 5800 and use them with little modification on my next android phone that's awesome

nice nice nice hahaha

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by kev1807
    +1 :-D

that means my next phone CAN be an android phone and i can learn qt now for my 5800 and use them with little modification on my next android phone that's awesome

nice nice nice hahaha
    Android is definitely the way to go!!! I'm absolutely loving my Hero!!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Nokia is in the shadow right now, Apple is sitting on the king's trone but Android is on the sure way to victory! I think on next Christmas the Android Market will reach 200,000 apps and games

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast